November 14, 2017
Lunera Transforms the LED Light Bulb into an Ambient Computing Platform
Complemented by an Extensive Ecosystem and Marketplace of Context-aware Applications
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 14, 2017 Lunera, an IoT infrastructure company, today announced that it is changing the networking and compute paradigm with the introduction of Lunera Smart Lamps, Lunera Ambient Compute software platform and Lunera Ambient Compute Marketplace. The company’s unique Smart Lamp invention embeds sophisticated IoT-edge technology—networking, compute, sensors and controls—directly into the end-cap of a light-emitting diode (LED) light bulb.
The Lunera Ambient Compute software platform automatically creates a self-organizing, Wi-Fi mesh network that can connect billions of IoT devices to the cloud. The wireless infrastructure, in each Lunera Smart Lamp, can deliver an IoT network that is completely omnipresent. The network supports devices that use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, IEEE 802.15.4 and EnOcean protocols.
Using the compute technology—processors, memory and storage—in each Lunera Smart Lamp, the Lunera Ambient Compute platform can create a fog and edge cloud. This enables its users to reduce their dependency on the cloud and benefit from less latency, more speed, improved security and privacy, and lower costs.
“Not too long ago we went from believing that the computer is the computer, to understanding that the network is the computer. Today, Lunera is leading the next shift, one that has the potential to be even bigger: the network is everything around us,” said John Bruggeman, chief executive officer, Lunera. “Until now, no one has conceived of the light bulb as the network or the platform for ambient computing. We believe Lunera is perfectly situated to realize the promise of this new compute paradigm.”
Deployed within indoor settings on a massive scale, Lunera can enable context-aware applications— from indoor wayfinding, asset tracking and Wi-Fi monitoring to proximity messaging, space utilization, occupancy-based HVAC control and automated demand response—to run in and between the cloud, the edge and the device itself. Lunera and third-party applications are available in the Lunera Ambient Compute Marketplace.
LED light bulbs are the ideal hardware form factor to drive the shift to ambient computing. Light bulbs are pervasive throughout an indoor space, reach every inch of a room and have always-on power. By leveraging Lunera’s patented, plug-and-play technology, an end-to-end deployment can be cost justified on energy savings.
The Lunera Ambient Compute Marketplace is built on an open, standards-based microservice architecture that enables rapid development, deployment and integration of third-party ecosystem applications. The first wave of applications available within the Marketplace include:
- Real-time location-based services that turn each lamp into a beacon that can transmit and receive signals. The platform supports both Apple iBeacon and Google Eddystone for proximity messaging, indoor GPS, asset tracking and space utilization, while providing pinpoint accuracy—unlike traditional beacons— and connectivity to the cloud where intelligence resides. This allows customers to create new revenue streams by providing new services, while also protecting valuable assets, securing and optimizing indoor settings, and allowing end users to find indoor places quickly.
- IoT networking that enables connectivity of everything smart to realize the potential of the IoT within indoor settings. Also, customers will be able to monitor their Wi-Fi networks to ensure higher predictability, reliability and always-on availability, while reducing cost of operations and optimizing the user experience.
- Energy management will allow for a different user experience for each building occupant. Utilizing Wi-Fi connectivity, each lamp can send energy usage to the cloud for interpretation and action, and adjust automatically to its surroundings. Lunera also enables tighter connectivity between utilities and customers to drive greater energy savings. Lunera provides Automated Demand Response (ADR) controls at the lamp and HVAC level, as well as occupancy-based HVAC control.
“Every day we are presented with ‘innovative’ technologies that will improve our employees’ work experience and increase productivity,” said Brett Hautop, senior director of global design and build, LinkedIn. “However, very rarely do we encounter a company like Lunera that has such a unique approach to change the way context-based applications are run in and between the cloud, further changing the way we all operate.”
Dallas Fort Worth International (DFW) Airport
“DFW Airport is committed to leveraging technology to create new experiences for our customers and further enhance our sustainability efforts,” said Robert Horton, vice president environmental affairs, DFW Airport. “Lunera shares our vision for innovation, and we look forward to partnering with them to find creative solutions with a variety of applications to improve the customer experience.”
“At Jabil, we partner with companies that help us deliver the best, most innovative technology to our customers,” said David Kipling, vice president, commercial & industrial energy efficiency business, Jabil Inc. “We see the enormous potential of Lunera’s software platform and the significant role it will play in enabling a rich ecosystem of value-added services, particularly around asset tracking and energy management. Lunera has the vision, technology and expertise to enable the shift to context-aware, automated applications and services.”
IDI Logistics – a portfolio company of Brookfield Property Group
“We welcome the opportunity to work with Lunera in an effort to create new customer experiences that enhance the value and operational efficiency of our industrial portfolio,” Paul Roeser, senior vice president, global head of corporate development at IDI Logistics – a portfolio company of Brookfield Property Group. “We believe in the shared value of connectivity, and look forward to developing innovative applications on the new Lunera Ambient Compute platform while also providing our customers with the best possible lighting for their operational demands.”
Innovation Partner At 2017 CoRE Tech Conference
Lunera is the Innovation Partner at CoRE Tech 2017 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Nov. 14-15, 2017. The company will have the following presence at CoRE Tech 2017:
- Sponsor the networking cocktail reception on Nov. 14 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Mission City Ballroom.
- Showcase its technology at the Aruba HQ Smart Digital Workplace Tours (Nov. 14 from 9 a.m. to Noon, then 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.), and at booths 7 and 8.
- CEO John Bruggeman will take the stage ahead of the IoT Enabled Smart Buildings and Campuses session on Nov. 15 at 9:35 a.m.
Lunera Smart Lamp, Lunera Ambient Compute, Lunera Ambient Compute Marketplace and Apps will be available December 2017.
- CEO John Bruggeman Blog: Lunera’s Vision for Ambient Computing
- Lunera Ambient Compute Partner Press Release
- Lunera Corporate Profile
- Lunera Energy Technical Brief
- Lunera Security Technical Brief
About Lunera, Inc.
Lunera is an IoT infrastructure company that provides an ambient compute platform to connect billions of devices to the cloud. Lunera’s breakthrough approach enables context-aware, fully automated applications to run in and between the cloud, the edge and the device itself. A robust set of these applications such as indoor wayfinding, asset tracking, Wi-Fi monitoring, proximity messaging and space utilization are available in the Lunera Ambient Compute Marketplace. The company’s unique invention embeds sophisticated IoT-edge technology, networking, compute, sensors and controls capabilities, directly into each LED lamp. Light bulbs are well positioned for this paradigm shift due to its low cost of deployment through energy savings, ubiquity, density and always-on power. Lunera is redefining traditional LED lighting to catalyze change and realize the promise of ambient computing. For additional information, visit www.lunera.com or connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn.